Friday, December 18, 2009

Spicy Christmas Stars (Approx 7 Dozen)


The story goes like this: I was visiting my Great Aunt Rose's house one Christmas and I ate one of these cookies and immediately insisted on making my own batch. I found the ingredients to be intriguing as the recipe even calls for regular black pepper. I asked my mom later today as I spent about a half an hour rolling out cookies in the shape of a star what she did when she made them. Quite frankly, she said, " I have never made them and I never will. I don't have the patience for it."

2 sticks of butter (softened)
3/4 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup of sugar
1+1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
1+1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
2 large eggs
3 cups of flour

2 cups of Confectionery sugar
Red sugar crystals

1. Measure all ingredients (except Confectionery sugar and Red sugar crystals) with mixer at low speed. Beat until well blended.

Helpful Hint: Mix everything else together and save the flour for last. Also, only add 1/2 cup of flour at a time, or you'll have more flour on you and the floor than actually in the cookie mix.

2. Divide dough into thirds. (This does not have to perfect). Shape each into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze 1 hour until the dough is firm enough to be handled.

1 hour might be enough for the Arctic or those at high elevations in the mountain regions, but honestly I think it should be in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours. Let it wait till tomorrow too if you'd like.

3. Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Take out one ball of freezer dough at a time. Roll it out to 1/8" thick and use a floured cookie cutter in the shape of a star.

Helpful Hint: What I noticed while initially rolling it was that it would break off and crumble at thicker areas at first. Toss these pieces aside and come back for them when you are re-rolling a section to make more cookies. Each ball of dough (and remember there are 3 of them) makes about 24 cookies.

4. Place cookies about 1/2 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 minutes total (I like to have a double rack in the oven; 4 min on the bottom and 4 on the top).

Don't you dare put your cookies away as soon as they cool! You must convey to the viewer that they are spicy by also putting a glaze with red sugar on it.

5. In a bowl, put about 1+1/2 cup of confectionery sugar in a bowl. Now add let's say 5-6 teaspoons of water. Mix it together. You want a consistency that isn't too thick but definitely not too watery. It's a delicate balance. Good luck.

Use a brush to glaze each cookie and after every 10 or so stop to sprinkle some red sugar on them before the glaze sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment